Summer and its scorching temperatures just make the smelly feet problem worse. Where does the smell come from? The bacteria that lives on your skin eats sweat and produces an acid byproduct that emits a strong odour. This is a natural process but there are some ways you can remedy the situation and reduce the bacteria which is the reason behind the smelly feet. There are millions of people that suffer this issue but also there are plenty of ways to deal with that. Check these tips and tricks and you are promised that your feet and shoes will be fresh every day!
- An old trick that is worth mentioning is using some old newspaper to absorb moisture from your shoes. Stuff your pair with newspaper and in the morning you will find them dry.
- When you want to absorb the excessive moisture, you won`t be surprised to find out that baking soda will do a perfect job! Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of it in each shoe and add a drop or two of your favourite essential oil. Leave them overnight and shake them thoroughly the next morning. By the way, this is also a great way to keep your carpets fresh in between the professional carpet cleaning sessions. Make a mixture of 1 cup baking soda and 5-10 drops essential oil and sprinkle on the carpet. Let it sit for an hour and vacuum the excess!
- Try this foot soak – it is a very efficient remedy both for cracked heels and odorous feet. Mix 1 cup antiseptic mouthwash, 1 cup white vinegar and 2 cups warm water. Soak your feet for about 15 minutes. Using a pumice stone to remove the dead skin which may also be the reason behind the smell. Do this once a week and you will notice a significant difference plus your heels will be soft and smooth!
- Another tip that is worth following is to alternate shoes on a daily basis. Try not wearing the same pair of shoes 2 days in a row but let them dry in the sun – loosen the laces and pull up the tongue. This will eliminate the bacteria.
- Using coffee grounds to absorb odours is another efficient method of fighting smelly feet! Don`t throw away your used coffee grounds – let them dry out and sprinkle them into your shoes. Leave them for a couple of hours or even better overnight and shake the excess in a trash bin.
- Epsom salt is another ingredient that will make your foot soak very relaxing. This salt is known for its detoxifying properties – it can efficiently draw out toxins and leave your feet pampered. Epsom salt will fight the impurities that are the reason behind odours – mix 1 cup Epsom salt, ½ sea salt and ½ baking soda and dissolve them in hot water.
- You can benefit a lot from lavender essential oil – not only it smells amazing but because of its antifungal properties, it kills bacteria. An easy foot soak you should totally try is to add about 10 drops of the oil in hot water and soak your feet every day for a week. The results are incredible!
- Another thing to consider when you are fighting smelly feet is the material of the socks you are wearing. Nylon, for instance, traps the moisture around your feet. You should go for socks that are 100% wool or cotton. Synthetics don`t allow your skin to breathe, therefore, you start sweating. A smart tip is to bring a clean pair of socks in case you need to change in the middle of the day!
- When you can, choose sandals over another type of shoes – they will let your feet breathe and the sweat will evaporate easily. If the season doesn`t allow you to wear sandals, choose materials like canvas and genuine leather, that will allow your feet to dry out.
- There is no need to buy expensive deodorising powders and sprays. An efficient way to keep your feet dry is to use baby powder before you put on your socks in the morning.
- Make sure you avoid strong-flavoured foods like onions, peppers, garlic and scallions as they can make your sweat smell more intense because of the substances they contain.
- Last but not least, stay calm and consider starting meditation – stress and anxiety are top reasons why you sweat, therefore the bacteria will have more to feed on. Relax!
Consider trying the aforementioned methods – you will see that you will eventually get rid of smelly feet. Our last tip – whenever you can, go barefoot!