It is a well-known fact that we live in a society that assumes that everything can be found at the supermarket or the nearest home improvement store. To a certain extent, that’s right. There is no need to think of innovative methods for dealing with a certain damage around the household. If you encounter a cleaning issue or any other trouble, rest assured that someone has already put forward an easy to apply solution. However, here comes the financial aspect. Why should you buy something when you can repurpose an item you already have, but it has been staying in the basement for ages? If you are on the same mind, check out some fresh ideas below:
- Although we live in the era of the technological breakthroughs, old habits die hard so if you are used to picking up your newspaper in the morning and reading the headlines while you are having a breakfast, you must have a bunch of old newspapers. Apart from using them for cleaning your windows, you can also stuff a few pages into your shoes. The unpleasant smell will be absorbed.
- Apple cider vinegar is known as a super healthy ingredient and it is included in the most effective diets for a reason. Let’s focus on one of its practical household applications, though. Apple cider vinegar can serve as a fruit fly trap. Instead of buying a specialised detergent, pour some apple cider vinegar into a suitable container and let it sit on the kitchen counter. The fruit flies will be attracted by the scent, but if you want to completely eliminate them, add a few drops of a dishwashing liquid to the vinegar.
- Spaghetti noodles are not just a delicious Italian dish, it can have a bit more unusual application. If you want to light multiple candles for a birthday cake, don’t waste your matches. Light just one candle and stick the spaghetti noodle into the flame.
- Do you remember how many times baking soda helped you clean your carpet and neutralise bad smells in the fridge? Believe it or not, it is also an effective “tool” for removing tough scuff marks, crayon and ink from painted surfaces. If your kids have decided that the wall is a canvas they can create a masterpiece on or you dragged a heavy piece of furniture across the room, take your time and fix the damages. Make a paste of baking soda and water and apply on the wall/ floor by using a soft cloth. If you are worried that you might scrape off the paint, test the solution on a small area.
- Lemon juice undoubtedly has an incredible number of applications around the household. Apart from lifting grease from multiple surfaces, it can also help you keep food, prone to browning, from becoming inedible. You know how irritating it is to buy some fresh fruits and throw them a day or two later as you did not manage to eat all of them. In order to slow down the browning process, rub the fruit with lemon juice.
- What do you think about using olive oil for removing your make-up or using it for moisturising your leather jacket or your skin? Yes, olive oil has excellent moisturising properties. In addition, you can use it for polishing wooden furniture. If you are about to move out and you want to hide a minor scratch, rub some olive oil on the affected surface and you will have fewer to worry when you run the end of tenancy cleaning.
- Don’t throw out the old dryer sheets. They serve as a perfect rag for dusting. The material they are made of is simply designed to attract dirt and dust, so here’s yet another application.
- If you have ever dropped your smartphone in the toilet or you were walking in the pouring rain and it just soaked in your pocket, dry it as much as you can and instead of immediately turning it on, put it into a container filled with uncooked rice. It will absorb the excessive amount of water and the chance of giving your phone a second life is increased.
- What do you do with old cardboards? You either throw them out or take them for recycling. However, you can use them for preventing your car windows from frosting in the winter. All you need to do is to place an appropriate size of cardboard on the windshield and in the morning, you will not have any ice-related issues.
Don’t forget to try these tricks the next time you encounter such an issue. They have proved to be effective solutions to the aforementioned problems around the household and they will save you some unnecessary hassle and expenses.